Wednesday 14 April 2010

Doo-Wah-Don't - Ahaha! A pun!


When it comes to being female and playing popular music to people on a piano, Regina Spektor has always dicked all over Kate Nash.

You could claim that Kate Nash's additional guitar skills give her a boost over Regina, but she does guitar as well! Regina doesn't over do it either, she keeps it simple and does it in a way that's...just cool.

Regina Spektor - That Time

Fair enough for Kate though, everyone's got their influence, no music is completely organic anymore, she even spoke about the influence in an interview;

“Oh, I love Regina Spektor – she was like the first person I found when I was 16. You know who certain people are, all the great artists in music, and you’ve gone through your shit stage and you’re now looking for some really good music. Regina Spektor was the first person who really hit me and really touched me. Everything she said I just wanted to hear. I just wanted to hear every message that she had. I just love her and her music. She’s a really great writer and she’s really quirky. The main thing is that she doesn’t conform to anything in any way. She writes and performs the sort of beautiful music that saves peoples lives, and she gives you hope, makes you wanna cry and makes you laugh. To be honest, I think Regina Spektor is my biggest influence musically, definitely.”

That said, I think her new single might be pushing it a bit. In the sense that it has just lifted the riff from 'That Time', and stuck it into this;



Ok, so she's padded it out with some far less interesting lyrics, a 'dum di dum' pop chorus and one of those minor chaos on an aeroplane videos, but it's hard not notice the similarity.
To her credit though, it's at number 13 in the mid-week charts and if it stays there till Sunday she'll have outdone Regina in chart terms by a long way.
It would just be nice if on the cover of the single there were clear instructions telling customers to buy some Regina Spektor albums, to put it all in perspective.

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't even realised but it is true! Sad but true..

    ReplyDelete