Wednesday 24 February 2010

Interview with Bombay Bicycle Club

I spoke to Jamie (Guitarist) and Suren (Drummer) before the gig. Suren barely said a word.

ME: How was the instore signing today at HMV, do you find it a bit odd signing autographs?

JAMIE: It was all right, there were a lot of people there. I just don’t see why anyone would want my autograph. It’s mainly 13 or 14 year old girls, but if they want it then that’s fine!


ME: Have you had much time to look around the rest of Portsmouth today?

JAMIE: I’ve already been to the d-day museum, by myself, which is a bit sad.

ME: Did no-one else want to come along?

JAMIE: I didn’t ask.

ME: We’re attached a swimming pool at the moment, have you played in any other unusual venues?

JAMIE: We’ve played in a bowling alley before and a barber shop as well the other week; we have done some weird gigs. We played in a puppet theatre.

At this point the interview was interrupted by Ed (bassist) trying to determine which polystyrene take-away container was his. It was pork and chips.

ME: Do you know what festivals you’re going to be doing this year?

JAMIE: Just Glastonbury at the moment. We’ve got a new acoustic album coming out though; we’ll do a tour for that.

ME: What are you’re favourite festivals, to play at or just to go to?

JAMIE: Reading and Leeds, Glastonbury…actually I’m not a massive Glastonbury fan. There are too many people there and it’s too big. Too many old people. Sorry I sound like a grumpy old man! I really liked Latitude last year, that’s a good gig, and Secret Garden Party. I think it’s better to go to the little ones now. I think you’ll have more fun there.

ME: As this is the NME awards tour, who would you give an award to, and what for?

JAMIE: Nicest band goes to The Maccabees definitely, this tour’s definitely re-enforced my love for The Maccabees. I can’t think of any other awards. I really like The Big Pink after this tour actually, I wasn’t that sure at the start.

ME: How do you think this year’s line-up compares to some of the previous NME Awards tours?

JAMIE: Well I went to The Killers, The Futureheads, Bloc Party and Kaiser Chiefs one, that was great. You can’t really tell because bands tend to get big after the tour. Looking back, the line up this year doesn’t look nearly as good, but then last year I’m sure no one was there for Florence and the Machine opening it. If we’re in the position Friendly Fires are in this time next year that’ll be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment