Wednesday 24 February 2010

Interview with Felix from The Maccabees

Quite possibly the nicest man in the world.

ME: So how’s the tour been so far?

FELIX: Brilliant, we’re down to the last three gigs now so we’re almost there, but it’s been great, we’ve loved it.

ME: What have the instore gigs been like?

FELIX: We only did one, the other two got cancelled for some reason, but the one we did (in Glasgow) was good.

ME: Is it an odd experience playing in a shop?

FELIX: It is a bit strange. It can be car crash, but I suppose they’re set up as foreign experiences, things you wouldn’t normally see at a gig and a different side to a band. Some of them can be really fun; it’s a bit of bi-polar experience.

ME: Have you or the rest of the band made use of the other facilities at the venue?

FELIX: I think a lot of the boys have gone for a swim actually! We’ve played here a couple of times and I’ve never been swimming here, but yeah it’s a strange venue.

ME: Have you had a chance to look round Portsmouth much today?

FELIX: We stayed here yesterday actually as well, but I haven’t done that much. I had a walk across the beach today and it was actually really beautiful.

ME: Who would you give an NME award to?

FELIX: I think Micachu and the Shapes deserve more attention than they’ve received and Richard Hawley’s not up for anything and I think he should be.

ME: What plans have you got for summer festivals and tours?

FELIX: There will be a few, but it’s basically getting down and doing the next album really. This is kind of the last thing we’re going to do.

ME: When are you planning to release the new album?

FELIX: Hopefully this time next year, there’s a lot of work to do it all in that time but hopefully we’ll get it done.

ME: Will you be going to any festivals yourself?

FELIX: I might go and see The Strokes at Isle of Wight. Strokes and Jay-Z, that’s a pretty immense line up! They’re one of those bands I’ve been in love with since I first heard them.

ME: Are there any other festivals that you would recommend?

FELIX: Bestival is good, as long as it’s not too muddy. I always hear that Secret Garden Party is good as well but I’ve never been.

ME: After the collaboration with Roots Manuva, have you got anything similar planned?

FELIX: I think Edwyn Collins from Orange Juice is going to be joining us to do ‘Rip it Up’ at the Brixton gig.

ME: Do you have any plans to record it in future?

FELIX: No, not just yet, I think we’ll just see what happens. I think it’s nice to just keep you’re head on and do unexpected things.

ME: Do you see a different sound developing for the next album?

FELIX: Yeah. We’re doing it all individually at the moment, so I don’t quite know how it is going to develop, but it wont come out unless it’s different.

No comments:

Post a Comment